SMART WATER & SEWER REPLACEMENTS
Subcontractors to the Buffalo Sewer Authority will be performing survey and soil testing in your neighborhood to plan upgrades to the street, sidewalks, crosswalks, and underground utilities. You may see markings on the pavement and hear heavy equipment while we complete this temporary work in May and June 2023.
ABOUT THIS PROJECT
In June 2021, Buffalo Sewer was awarded a $54 million Environmental Impact Bond to fund the Implementation of its Rain Check 2.0 green infrastructure program. Additional funding has been secured by the City of Buffalo for lead service line replacements. This project includes upgrades to the storm drainage system, new sewer and water mains, replacement of lead water service laterals (from water main to building lines), new curb, sidewalks, street trees, and accessible curb ramps. In addition, the project includes a full reconstruction of the street section to install permeable asphalt to improve drainage and increase groundwater recharge.
The project includes improvements along the following streets:
– Adams Street from Genesee Street to Sycamore Street
– Laurel Street from Main Street to Masten Avenue
– Locust Street from Virginia Street to BFNC Drive
– Woodlawn Avenue from Wohlers Avenue to Humboldt Parkway
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
– REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF NUTRIENTS FLOWING INTO THE BUFFALO RIVER DURING STORM EVENTS AND IMPROVE WATER QUALITY
– ENHANCED STREETSCAPE WITH NEW STREET TREES, SIDEWALKS, AND ROADWAY
– 5.2 MG OF COMBINED SEWER OVERFLOW PREVENTION PER YEAR